A couple posts ago I wrote about my own fireplace remodel. I have now finished the work outside.
It took a long time to get to this point.
The old chimney was tipping away from the house severely. All of the stucco on this, the south side of the house had long ago failed.
The domino effect was in full swing in this project. I had anticipated most of the scope of the project. Out came the old chimney down to and including the minimal foundation. the failed stucco mostly fell off of its own accord. I stripped the lath off to expose and examine the sheathing. Everything looked pretty sound.
The block and brickwork all went up pretty quickly. Building the chimney on a new foundation took about a week in all.
While the masons worked on that I installed diagonal strapping over the old sheathing as part of my siesmic upgrade.After a new electric panel base I was only too happy to cover everything back up and stucco. I didn' like how the stucco wall terminated along its bottom edge so I designed a skirt that I intend to carry around the house as I remodel it. In the bottom left corner of this photo you can see the 5"steel "U" channel (in grey) that is epoxy bolted into the concrete wall and attaches to that diagonal steel strap I showed earlier.
The chimney pot is a flower pot we've had around. I cut the bottom out of it and stuck it on top of the chimney.
The herringbone tile is cheap Home Depot carrera 1' x 1' floor tiles that I sawed into small rectangles and set as herringbone. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.
The bracket is forged iron, I had Arnon Kartmazov make for me a long time ago. I plan to hang a future lantern from it.
We found the chicken at Pratt and Larsen seconds and couldn't resist bringing it home.